Community Development
Director - Chris Erias
City Of Manteca

FAQ's and Important Information


Any replacement work that requires structural, electrical, plumbing or mechanical changes requires a building permit.

A building permit is not required for the following types of residential work (per California  Building Code, Section 105.2). HOWEVER, if applicable and unless otherwise exempted, separate plumbing, electrical, and mechanical permits may be required. Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Setbacks and zoning requirements must be adhered to;  check with the Planning Division for requirements: (209) 456-8500.

  • - Masonry and Concrete Fences not over 3 feet high

  • - All other fences not over 7 feet high, as long as they are not constructed in the front yard setback or over easements (Manteca Municipal Code, Section 15.04.140). Corner lots have special requirements; please contact the Planning Division.

  • - Retaining walls not over 4 feet in height, measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or III-A liquids. Retaining walls on property lines with a difference in elevation of 18 inches or greater must be constructed of reinforced concrete or reinforced concrete block (MMC, Section 15.04.130).

  • - One-story, detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet.  Any electrical or plumbing work, if included, will require a permit . Zoning setbacks must be adhered to. (MMC, Section 17.09.08)

  • - Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one-and two-family dwellings.

  • - Platforms, walks and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade and not over any basement or story below. This includes patio slabs (no roof structure), decks, paths, and concrete/asphalt driveways.

  • - Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons (18,925 L) and are installed entirely above ground.

  • - Detached, open-trellis roof structures not exceeding 120 square feet of projected roof area. Zoning setbacks must be adhered to. (MMC, Section 17.09.08)

  • - Shade cloth structures.

  • - Finish work to include painting, papering, wood paneling, carpeting, flooring tile, linoleum, etc., unless disabled access is an issue.

If you suspect you have construction on your property that is illegal, contact your insurance company and the appropriate City departments to determine the status and possible remedies. Any suspect construction also must be disclosed on real estate disclosure forms.
If you live in a planned community with its own set of Codes, Covenants and Restrictions (CC&R), check with your association to see if there are any restrictions on your lot which would preclude the type of project you are planning. CC&R  sometimes have higher or stricter standards than City requirements or state building code requirements. CC&R are enforced by legal action from other property owners and not by the City. A copy of the CC&R document can be obtained from a title company for a fee.

Work within the street right-of-way may require an Encroachment Permit. Contact the Public Works Department (209) 456-8580.
Sidewalk, driveway, and lawn sprinkler work cannot take place in the City right-of-way without proper permits. The back of the sidewalk is usually not your front property line. Front property lines are generally two feet or more behind the sidewalk. The area between the sidewalk and your front property line is part of the right-of-way.
Replacement of water and sewer pipes requires permits. Repairs to the main and that portion of the lateral between the main and the front property line cleanout or manhole within the right-of-way are the responsibility of the City. Repairs or replacement of the sewer lateral between the front property line cleanout or manhole and the structure are the responsibility of the property owner. If any portion of this lateral is in the City right-of-way, it may require an Encroachment Permit. Contact Public Works.
EASEMENTS:  Buildings or structures are not allowed in utility easements.
Identify the location of all underground pipes and wires before you dig. Call 800-227-2600.
Lead Paint: There is lead in most old paints. Chips from scraping and dust from sanding painted doors, windows, trim, cabinets, and sheetrock may contain lead. People can ingest lead by breathing lead-based paint dust or by swallowing lead-contaminated soil or paint chips. Lead is harmful to children, adults, and household pets. For additional information, call the National Lead Information Clearinghouse at 1-800-424-LEAD.
Asbestos: There may be asbestos in textured ceiling materials, rigid siding, and floor tiles. This is a hazardous material that must be disposed of properly. Have your material tested before attempting to remove it. Contact the San Joaquin County Unified Air Pollution Control District at (209) 557-6400 for further details and alert the Building Department if asbestos is determined to be present.

1. Hire only licensed contractors.
2. Get at least three bids before selecting a contractor.
3. Check your contractor's license number online at: or by calling 1-800-321-2752.
4. Get three references and review the contractor's past work.
5. Get a written contract and don't sign anything until you completely understand and agree with the terms.
6. Pay 10% down, or $1,000, whichever is less.
7. Don't let payments get ahead of work. Keep records of all payments you make.
8. Don't make the final payment until work is complete, the final inspection has been approved, and you are satisfied with the job.
9. Don't pay cash.
10. Keep a job file of all papers relating to your project.
8. Hiring a California Licensed Contractor means you do not personally perform any of the construction work, the permit is not taken out in your name, and you are not an "Owner-Builder."  Instead, you become a "Customer" and California law provides the benefit of protection from poor workmanship, failure to complete the job and financial risk due to worker injury while on the job.

9. By signing a building permit application as an "Owner-Builder," you assume full responsibility for all phases of your project and its integrity. As an Owner-Builder, you assume responsibility for the overall job. You may be required to hire various sub-contractors for your project. Your responsibilities may include such things as state and federal taxes, workers' compensation insurance, and other legal liabilities. If a worker is injured while working on your property, you could be asked to pay for injuries and rehabilitation through your homeowner's insurance policy.
All contractors and sub-contractors working within the city limits are required to have a valid City of Manteca Business License. Call (209) 456-8730​ for more information.