Skip Navigation Links
Skip Navigation Links
Skip Navigation LinksCity Of Manteca > Departments > Police Department > Frequently Asked Questions EMERGENCY - DIAL 911
Skip Navigation Links

Hours of Operation

Monday-Thursday8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Friday8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Closed Alternate Fridays
Calendar Of City Office Closures

Office Location

1001 W. Center St.
Manteca California 95337

Main Office Phone Number

(209) 456-8100

Receive community information instantly! Sign up at today! It's quick, easy and secure.

Jodie Estarziau, Chief of Police
Frequently Asked Questions

Domestic Violence

What is Domestic Violence?
Penal Code 13700 describes Domestic Violence as: "an abuse committed against an adult or a minor who is a spouse, former spouse, cohabitant, former cohabitant, or person with whom the suspect has had a child or is having or has had a dating or engagement relationship."  Abuse is described as: "intentionally or recklessly causing or attempting to cause bodily injury, or placing another person in reasonable apprehension of imminent serious bodily injury to himself or herself, or another."

What can I do if I or someone else is a victim of Domestic Violence?
If you or someone else you know is being hurt by someone right now, call 9-1-1 immediately.  If you are wondering what options you have as a victim, there are several internet resources on our Helpful Resources page or you can call the District Attorney's Victim-Witness Program at (209) 468-2500.  You can call for more information from the police department at (209) 239-8401.

How can I obtain a restraining order against someone?
You can get a Domestic Violence restraining order from the Manteca Superior Court at 315 E. Center St. Manteca or the Stockton Superior Court at 222 E. Weber St. Stockton.  You can also call the Victim-Witness Program at (209) 468-2500 for assistance.

Court/Custody Orders

Additional information coming soon. For now, please call the Manteca Police Department at 239-8410 for more information.

Child Custody

Additional information coming soon. For now, please call the Manteca Police Department at 239-8410 for more information.

Property Release

I have property at the Police Department. When can I get it released to me?
Property is released by appointment only. Call the Property Officer at 209-456-8131 Monday – Thursday between 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. for an appointment Proper Identification is required for all property releases. We will accept VALID state issued driver’s licenses, VALID state issued identification cards, VALID resident alien cards, or other VALID US Government issued picture ID cards. If you have further questions or requests for the Property Officer, you can do so by clicking here or calling (209) 456-8131.

Disturbing the Peace

What is Disturbing the Peace?
Penal Code 415 describes Disturbing the Peace in three ways. The first way is to fight or challenge someone to fight in a public place. The second is to maliciously and willfully disturbs another person by loud and unreasonable noise. The last, and most confusing one, is to use offensive words in a public place which are inherently likely to provoke an immediate violent reaction. A person's freedom of speech has to be weighed before using the last way to disturbed one's peace.

Who's peace can be disturbed?
By Law, a peace officer's peace cannot be disturbed. This means that if someone calls the police for a loud stereo complaint and the officer hears the music, that officer cannot take action if the person refuses to turn down the music. This would require the person, who's peace is being disturbed, to sign a citizen's arrest and the officer can take action based on the citizen's arrest.

Are there certain hours that my peace can be disturbed?
There are no certain hour limitations on disturbing the peace. For instance, if someone has a stereo up so loud that it can be heard from inside your residence and has been playing all day, it may be considered loud and unreasonable. However, construction that is being performed during legal hours, as allowed by municipal code, may be loud but it is not unreasonable.

What should I do if my peace is being disturbed by another?
If you believe your peace is being disturbed by another and you believe it is both loud and unreasonable, call the police department at (209) 239-8401. We can send out an officer to evaluate the situation. Most noise complaints can be resolved by coming out and simply asking the person to keep the noise down. If the noise continues, a citizen's arrest may be necessary to handle the situation. In this case, call the police department and an officer will come out to have you sign the necessary forms. The officer will then take the necessary action.

Alarm Permits and Enhanced Call Verification

How do I get an alarm permit?
Visit the Manteca Police Department, Monday through Friday between 8am and 5pm to get an alarm permit, there is no fee. Or click here and download the alarm permit form. When you receive the permit application, fill it out as completely as possible, keep the pink copy for your records, and mail the remaining pages to 1001 West Center Street, Manteca, California 95337, Attn: Alarm Permit- Manteca Police Dept.

Is there a fee for responding to a false alarm?
Yes, the fees for responding to a false alarm are as follows:
  • 1st response in a twelve (12) month period (No Charge)
  • 2nd response in a twelve (12) month period (No charge)
  • 3rd response in a twelve (12) month period ($100.00)
  • 4th response in a twelve (12) month period ($200.00)
  • 5th response in a twelve (12) month period ($400.00)
Are there any fees related to alarms?
  • Failure to Obtain an Alarm Permit $200.00
  • Failure for Owner/Responsible Party to respond to sounding alarm $100.00
  • All alarm related fees become effective July 1st, 2009
Will the Manteca Police Department respond to all alarms?
The Manteca Police Department will start using an Enhanced Call Verification for responding to alarms.

Does this mean the police won't respond to my panic alarm?
The new policy also does not affect the Police Department’s response to panic, robbery, duress, or other types of hold-up alarms. These types of alarms will continue to be treated as high priority by the Police Department. Call the Manteca Police Department at 456-8108 if you need further assistance.

Identity Theft

Sometimes, an identity thief can strike even if you've been very careful about keeping your personal information to yourself. If you suspect that your personal information has been hijacked and misappropriated to commit fraud or theft, take action immediately! Keep a record of your conversations and correspondence.

Your First Three Steps

First, contact the fraud departments of each of the three major credit bureaus.

Tell them that you are an identity theft victim. Request that a "fraud alert" be placed in your file, as well as a victim's statement asking that creditors call you before opening any new accounts or changing your existing accounts. This can help prevent an identity thief from opening additional accounts in your name. At the same time, order copies of your credit reports from the credit bureaus. Credit bureaus must give you a free copy of your report if your report is inaccurate because of fraud and you request it in writing.

Second, contact the creditors for any accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.

Creditors can include credit card companies, phone companies and other utilities, banks and other lenders. Ask to speak with someone in the security or fraud department of each creditor and follow up with a letter.

Third, file a report with your local police.

Get a copy of the police report in case the bank, credit card company, or others need proof of the crime. Even if the police can't catch the identity thief in your case, having a copy of the police report can help you when dealing with creditors. In addition, if your checks have been stolen or misused, stop payment. Also contact the major check verification companies to request that they notify retailers using their databases not to accept these checks, or ask your bank to notify the check verification service with which it does business.

National Check Fraud Service: 1-843-571-2143
TeleCheck: 1-800-710-9898 or 927-0188
CrossCheck: 1-707-586-0551
Equifax Check Systems: 1-800-437-5120
International Check Services: 1-800-526-5380

Numbers you will need:

Equifax -

Order your report at 800-685-1111 or write:
P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

To report fraud call 800-525-6285 and write:
P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

Experian -

Order your report at 888-397-3742 or write:
P.O. Box 949, Allen, TX 75013-0949

To report fraud call 888-397-3742 and write:
P.O. Box 949, Allen, TX 75013-0949

Trans Union -

Order your report at 800-916-8800 or write:
P.O. Box 1000, Chester, PA 19022

To report fraud call 800-680-7289 and write:
Fraud Victim Assistance Division
P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92634

For further information:  US Government website

1001 W. Center St. Manteca California 95337 TELEPHONE: (209) 456-8100 © 2019 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED TUESDAY, APRIL 23, 2019